1. What we are not ashamed to do before God , we should not fear to do before our fellowmen.
2. By the word 'qwam', I mean both Hidus and Muslims. That is the way in which I define the word nation (Qwam).
3. Remember that the words Hindu and Mahamedan are only meant for religious distinction—otherwise all persons, whether Hindus or Mohammedans, even the Christians who reside in this country, are all in this particular respect belonging to one and the same nation.
4. If we ignore that aspect of ours which we owe to God , both of us, on the basis of being common inhabitants of India , actually constitute one nation: and the progress of this country and that of both of us is possible through mutual cooperation.
5. India is like a bride which has got two beautiful and lustrous eyes—Hindus and Musalmans.
6. We (Hindus and Muslims) should try to combine our hearts and souls and act in unison. If united, we can sustain.
7. I have said it many times and I say it again that India is like a beautiful bride blessed by two attractive eyes – the Hindus and the Muslims.
8. It is the first and foremost duty of all the well-wisher of the country to strive for the welfare of all people irrespective of any consideration of caste or religion.
9. To be a Hindus or a Muslim is a matter of internal faith which has nothing to do with mutual relationship and external conditions.
10. How good is the saying , whoever may be its author , that a human being in composed of two elements – his faith which he owes to God and his moral sympathy which he owes to his fellow – beings Hence leave God’s share to God and concern yourself with the share that is yours.
11. In our opinion just as the differences of religion which exist between the Musalmans and the Hindus ought not to prevent social dealings, mutual affection and love and sympathy between them, so also differences on political questions ought not to prevent social dealings, mutual affection and love and sympathy.
12. It is the categorical verdict of all the nations and great seers of the world that national progress depends on education and training (of the people).
13. Ignorance is the mother of poverty.
14. When a nation becomes devoid of arts and learning, it invites poverty. And when poverty comes it brings in its wake thousands of crimes.
15. I hope you will try to set an example in both scholarly pursuits and the practice of Islam. Only then will our community be honored and respected.
16. All the creatures of God have equal rights. No man is entitled to allow one particular race of men to obtain the good things of this world, and to bar the rest from participating in them, and it is the duty of the government to observe this divine law in all its integrity.
17. National progress is the sum total of the individual’s labour, honor, honesty and sympathy. Similarly, national downfall is the cumulative result of the individual’s laziness, dishonour, dishonesty, selfishness and other weaknesses of character.
18. Man himself is his own greatest teacher.
19. My advice to all of you is: Do only that which you believe (to be right) and do not do anything in (the rightness of) which you do not believe. This is real truthfulness and this is the only thing on which depends success in both the worlds.
20. We believe that the righteous and pious people, to whatever religion or community they might belong, deserve our respect in the same way as the righteous people of our own religion.
21. Nothing is more disgraceful for any nation than to throw into the oblivion its historical heritage and the works of its ancestors.
22. A man should be upright, righteous and honest even while opposing his opponent.
23. To permit liberty of the Press is the part of a wise government: To preserve it is the part of a free people.
24. The basis of all (progress) is that you should bring all treasures of knowledge under your control.
25. Idleness is a word the meaning of which is not rightly comprehended by the people. They think that abstaining from manual work, lack of alertness is doing labour and laziness in routine duties is all that idleness implies. However, they do not realize that the real idleness is the idleness of heart and mind.
26. Sons (of MAO college later AMU)) shall go forth throughout the length and breadth of the land to preach the message of free inquiry, of large-hearted toleration and of pure morality.
27. Acquisition of knowledge of science and technology is the only solution for the problems of Muslims.
28. Call me by whatever names you like. I will not ask you for my salvation. But please take pity of your children. Do something for them (send them to the school), lest you should have to repent (by not sending them)
29. Get rid of old and useless rituals. These rituals hinder human progress.
30. The first requisite for the progress of a nation is the brotherhood and unity amongst sections of the society.
31. Yes the main purpose of this college (MAO) is to impart modern education to Muslims who are suffering because of lack of it but this institution is for all, Hindus and Muslims alike. Both of them need education.
32. We (Hindus and Muslims) eat the same crop, drink water from the same rivers and breathe the same air. As a matter of fact Hindus and Muslims are the two eyes of the beautiful bride that is Hindustan. Weakness of any one of them will spoil the beauty of the bride (dulhan)
33. We (Hindus and Muslim) have evolved a new language Urdu
34. I wish that youth of India should follow the example of young men and women of England who are religiously engaged in the hard work of industrial development of their country (During the stay of Sir Syed in England).
35. Look forward, learn modern knowledge, and do not waste time in studies of old subjects of no value.
36. Ijtihad (innovation, re-interpretation with the changing times) is the need of the hour. Give up taqlid (copying and following old values).
37. Do not show the face of Islam to others; instead show your face as the follower of true Islam representing character, knowledge, tolerance and piety.
38. We should not (by remaining ignorant and illiterate) tarnish the image of our able elders.
39. All human beings are our brother and sisters. Working for their welfare is obligatory for Muslims.
40. Remember that the words Hindu and Muslim are only meant for religious distinction: otherwise all persons who reside in this country belong to one and the same nation.